Every Gentlemen Host® should possess the understanding and skills described below as a necessary minimum:
- Be able to discern the musical beats to a piece of dance music.
- Understand the beats-per-measure in a piece of music, such as 4/4 and 3/4 time so that rhythms can be understood.
- Be able to dance to the music on time and on the beat.
- Be able to correctly hold his dance partner relative to body position and placement of head, arms, hands and feet.
- Understand the basic fundamentals in leading his partner.
- Distinguish and know the standard dances: Fox Trot, Swing, Waltz, Rumba, and Cha-Cha.
- Using the standard dances listed above, be able to dance a minimum of 5 Bronze (basic) Level steps in American-Social Style. (Any variations of each dance step, or the ability to dance International Style are optional).
- Understand and practice the traditional "line of dance" rule of movement on the dance floor:
- Outside lanes move counter-clockwise for faster dances like Fox Trot, Waltz, etc.
- Center dance floor is for Swing, Slow dancing, Free style, Line dances.
- Rumba, Cha-cha dance in your own small area.
- Understand etiquette sufficiently to:
- Ask politely by being close enough to extend his hand to the lady when requesting a dance. Graciously use the phrase, "May I have the pleasure of this dance with you?"
- Guide the lady to the floor & return her to her chair or prior location. Again, thank her.
Abilities desirable, but not absolutely necessary:
(Levels 4 & 5)
- Be able to begin adding some "other" dances that are sometimes danced aboard Cruise Ships including... Tango, Samba, Quick Step, Merengue, Salsa, Two-Step, Polka, Viennese Waltz, etc.
- Be able to correctly execute eight or more (approximately) steps / patterns for each of the standard dances.
Continuous practicing and studying of social dance will increase qualified Gentlemen Hosts’ cruise invitations and options for more diversified ports and itineraries. All dance hosts must commit to improvement.